Must love God and desire to serve God through his gift of preaching the Word. Must respect the
Bible as God’s inspired message.
A bachelor’s degree and/or graduate degree in Bible or Ministry is preferred. A preaching
minister without a degree who has had successful ministry experience would be considered.
A minimum of five (5) years of experience as a minister of a church of Christ is desired.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
Preach the Word
1. Preach biblical sermons that will assist the congregation in growing into the image of Jesus,
encourage members to engage in the life of the Leander body, and equip members to share the
good news of Jesus with neighbors. Such sermons are to be presented in a clear, relevant, and
2. Advise the elders in spiritual matters and seek guidance from the elders for sermon topics as
needed. From the guidance of the elders, develop a long-term preaching plan and communicate
it to them.
3. Give the topics and texts to the worship leader coordinator ahead of time and assist worship
leader in coordinating worship services so that services are "thoughtful and prepared."
Maintain a Healthy Spiritual Life
1. Engage in spiritual disciplines, especially daily prayer and bible study, in order to maintain your
spiritual well being.
2. Commit to being a life-long learner: Attend conferences and lectureships that will affirm,
challenge, and uplift. Read books that will help to expand your depth of knowledge and
3. Maintain relationships with mentors who will help to "sharpen the sword."
4. Use days off and vacation time as opportunities for renewal.
Teach Bible Classes
1. As coordinated between the minister of education and the elders, teach Bible classes from time to
2. Lead one-on-one Bible studies as opportunities arise.
Build Relationships with Members and the Community
1. Build and maintain healthy relationships with church members of varying ages, backgrounds,
and stages of faith through prayer, study, and encouragement so that they might grow in their
2. Visit and encourage members who are sick or shut-in and communicate with the church
secretary, other ministers, and the elders on their status.
3. Make meaningful connections with visitors through visits, phone calls, coffees, etc.
4. Provide pastoral counseling. Be a listening ear, pray, and share biblical insights. Refer to a
professional counselor, if needed.
5. Actively participate in congregational activities in order to demonstrate support and passion for
the ministries of the church. Build relationships with church members so they may be nurtured
in the best possible way(s).
6. Work at developing relationships with people in the community in order to share the gospel.
This requires being visible and active in the community (schools, coffee shops, restaurants, etc).
Communicate the Vision
1. Take a leadership role in articulating the vision of the church: Preach about the vision, talk about
it to members and the community, include it in bulletin articles, etc.
2. Communicate on a consistent basis how the vision applies on a practical level to all church
3. Work with the Vision Implementation Team at a level agreed upon with the Elders and the Team.
1. Help to coordinate and attend retreats and the weekly staff meetings.
2. Serve and work alongside the other ministers and staff of the church and participate in shared
staff responsibilities (visits, visitor follow-up, etc).
3. Participate in Elders’ meetings and provide monthly reports of your work.
4. Maintain consistent office hours.
5. Participate in an annual job performance review.
1. Cover letter
3. A Brief Philosophy of Ministry
Organization: Leander Church of Christ
About the Organization: The Leander Church of Christ is located in Leander, Texas, a town of about 55,000 people situated on the eastern edge of the scenic Texas hill country. Lake Travis is only a 20-minute drive to the west and Austin is about 20-minutes to the south. Leander is a great place to live and raise a family.
We are a diverse group of over 250 souls, united in our faith and love of the Lord and His Word, seeking a biblically educated full-time preaching minister with at least five years of full-time ministry experience. He must be able to present lessons based on the Truth in God’s Word in a clear, relevant, and inspiring way that is not compromised by contemporary or cultural trends and who shares our love of acappella singing.
Our location is one of the fastest growing areas of the state, which presents a prime opportunity for church growth. We believe Jesus’ words in John 4:35 applies well to our community. He said, “…look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.” With the right minister, the dedicated servants in our congregation, and God’s blessing, the harvest can truly be great.
Who to contact
Name: Ken Parker