The Oldham Lane Church of Christ in Abilene, Texas, is seeking an additional team member to work with University students. This is a newly created position that will allow the individual to build the University Ministry from the ground up. The goal for the University Minister would be to make and grow disciples among college students. Efforts to accomplish this goal might include establishing a presence on the campuses, engaging in various activities, teaching Bible class, conducting devotionals, doing one-on-one Bible studies, event trips, etc.
First and foremost, we are looking for a candidate who has a passion for working with emerging adults. We believe this will likely include:
• Experience in a college setting (Coursework and/or Involvement)
• History of community involvement
• Track record of strong spiritual growth and local church involvement
• Experience working with emerging adults
• A love for God’s word coupled with a strong working knowledge of the scriptures
• Bachelor’s Degree in Ministry or related field
• Previous ministry experience
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Maintain a growing relationship with God through regular personal Bible study and prayer.
• Plan & coordinate high quality and biblical sound Bible classes on Sundays & Wednesdays with
content relevant to the college demographic.
• Teach Bible classes on a regular basis.
• Maintain a presence on the campus(es).
• Lead a weekly chapel on campus and be engaged in other campus initiatives.
• Plan & implement a calendar of events & activities for college students.
• Build & develop a teaching team to assist in Bible classes & other activities.
• Help integrate college students into the congregation.
• Help the congregation be mindful of college ministry & assimilate college students.
• Be accessible & available to elders, staff, deacons, members & the public.
• Participate in meetings with elders, staff & deacons.
• Preach occasionally on rotation with other ministers.
• Participate in outreach efforts coordinated by the staff (i.e. commercials, television program, etc.).
• Effectively manage the University Ministry budget.
ABOUT OLDHAM LANE:
• 700+ regular attendance
• Served by 9 shepherds
• Long-serving staff
• Active youth group & children’s ministry
• Learn more at www.olcoc.com
• Population of 123,000
• Great place to raise a family
• Home to Dyess AFB, two large school districts, and two hospitals
• Home to three universities, one junior college and several technical training colleges
• Learn more at www.abilenetx.gov and https://www.abilenevisitors.com/
CHALLENGES & OPPORTUNITIES:
• Beginning a new ministry in a growing congregation
• Integrating University Ministry into the overall work at Oldham Lane
• Working with an experienced staff with a strong history of service & ministry
• Time commitment. Much of the work of the University Minister will be done outside the office at
nights & on weekends.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
• $50,000 to $60,000 salary range; commensurate with experience & qualifications.
• Simple Individual Retirement Account (I.R.A.) option with up to 3% match of the employee’s
• 15 days paid time off.
Apply at firstname.lastname@example.org Position will be open until filled.